The 1713 House
The 1993 Barn
The Lillian Dutton
The Lane Family
The Dutton Family
The Rufus Porter Murals
Ownership by the Lane Family
Deacon Job Lane, the original owner of the Job Lane House, was the son of John Lane and the grandson of the original
Lane who settled in Billerica, the Massachusetts Bay Colony. He was
named for his grandfather according to Ina Mansurís genealogy of
Deacon Job Lane of Bedford. Job inherited 166 acres in the northeast
part of the farm, some along the Concord River.
At 21, Job was
given a seat in the Billerica meeting house, and was a tythingman,
one who helps maintain peace in a public meeting place. He married
Martha Ruggles, on December 16, 1713, the ministerís sister and
built the present house at 295 North Road, Bedford, at this time.
They had 11 children, and six lived and grew up in this house.
At 28, he was elected constable, tax collector. In 1724, the
acting governor, William Dummer, named him a lieutenant in the
Provincial Troops. He became one of the founding fathers of Bedford,
when on September 23, 1729; the Town of Bedford was incorporated
from Billerica and Concord lands. He helped search for a minister,
and Nicholas Bowes, a Harvard graduate, then teaching in Billerica,
was chosen to be the first minister of the newly formed town. Job
was assigned a pew on the first floor of the meeting house and
elected deacon. He held this post for 25 years until his death.
Deacon Job contributed much to the Town of Bedford. It is fitting
today that we show his house and how it has withstood time and the
elements of nature.
At 70 years of age, Job wrote a will,
and gave the house to his son John, except for the old back kitchen,
which he gave for use as a schoolhouse. John Laneís son, Ziba Lane, (grandson of our Deacon Job Lane), married in 1778
John deeded this house to Ziba as a wedding gift, writing a gift, of love. Although many
of Zibaís siblings had moved away, Ziba remained here for some time. He was a
veteran of the Revolutionary war and the parent of two children. He took in to
board his wifeís sister and a man who may have helped with the farm work. In
1790, there were four adults and four children in the household.
Probably it was during Zibaís ownership that an ell, including a
shed, was attached to the house. It was arranged to cover the
familyís well so that no one would be required to go outside for
At last Ziba decided to move away. He
sold the Deaconís house to his cousin, Stephen Lane (1755-1827). Stephen was
Zibaís age, unmarried, and the sole heir of his own fatherís house (Timothy
Laneís House) north of this one, and he did not need a home. Probably he bought
this one to help Ziba and to rent it for an income. The North schoolhouse was
being built across the road nearby and the tenant here was the caretaker of the
schoolhouse. He allowed the pupils to carry drinking water from his well.